Making lemon infused olive oil is so easy and so worth it. It’s much cheaper than buying real cold pressed lemon olive oil, and it’s so tasty. I love drizzling it on salad and pasta especially. The lemon flavor just brightens up boring dishes so easily.
The only detail that can be tricky is making sure that you use only the rind of the lemon. Any lemon pulp will mold in the oil, making for a very unpleasant surprise at the end of the infusion.
Once you start infusing your own olive oil, it’s hard to go back!
- 1 cup good extra virgin olive oil
- Rind of one lemon
- 1 small sealing glass jar
- In a small saucepan, bring the olive oil and rind to a light boil on medium heat. This will begin the infusion of the lemon into the olive oil.
- Immediately turn down to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Take off heat, let cool.
- Remove the olive oil and rind into a small jar or tupperware and let the olive oil continue to infuse at room temperature for up to two weeks. The oil will develop more and more of a lemon flavor over time. Enjoy without refrigerating for up to one month.